So I'm attempting to start a blog page. We'll see what happens with this! I think for the most part I will use it to give updates about projects that I am working on.
Having been stuck at home due to "the virus" I've had some time to finally work on some DCC decoder installation projects I have been putting off. The biggest was installing a sound decoder into a Kato N scale D51 steam loco. For my first N scale DCC sound decoder, I think it went well. There were a few problems. The biggest being that the sound coming out of the speaker is quite low. I have a 16mm 8 Ohm 0.1 watt speaker, but there wasn't enough room to create a proper speaker enclosure for it, so the sound is quite muffled. I used the Loksound 5 Micro DCC decoder. It's a nice decoder, but I didn't realize I would need to have the ESU programmer to properly adjust the sounds. I think in the future I will use a sound decoder that is capable of being programed using JMRI Decoder Pro. I video recorded my instillation so at some point I hope to edit together a video about it for YouTube.